2012-03-22

TitleTown poll

Earlier today I saw a post at Too Many Verlanders asking how successful my hometown teams have been during my lifetime. Not me personally, but anyone reading. Anyway, here's a look at Saint Louis sports in my lifetime (since 1982)

Cardinals:

  • World Series Appearances: 6 (1982, 1985, 1987, 2004, 2006, 2011)
  • Championships: 3 (1982, 2006, 2011)

Blues:

  • Stanley Cup Finals Appearances: 0 (if only I had been born by mid-1968, I'd have 3 here)
  • Championships: 0

Rams:

  • Superbowls: 2 (2000, 2002)
  • Championships: 1 (2000)
  • While the Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals were in St. Louis, there were no Superbowl appearances
Looking back, it almost feels surreal that there was a 3-4 year period in which the Rams were pretty good. The Cardinals took a long time off between championships but have 2 I'm old enough to remember. All in all, Saint Louis has had 8 Finals appearances and 4 Championships during my lifetime in the 4 "major" sports. Some folks might consider college football another major sport, but SLU is without a team, and the basketball team isn't quite top-tier just yet.

Now here's one quick championship story that's a little funny. In May of 2001, a friend of mine got free tickets to a minor league basketball team called the Saint Louis Swarm who played in a little suburban arena. We knew nothing of the team, but found out when we go there that Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Jr. played for the team. That was kind of neat I guess. Both of us were Michael Jordan fans, but didn't care much about basketball at that time, as Jordan was retired for the second time at the moment. We watched the game, our team was winning, so that made it a little more fun. Then near the end of the game we overheard that, apparently, we were sitting at game 3 of the best-of-3 championship series. Sure enough, they won and had a trophy presentation at the end and everything. To date it's my only championship moment witnessed live in person, and I came to it completely by accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment