2012-03-19

2012 Opening Day

Topps Opening Day, that is. I really like this set for some reason, maybe it's the cheapskate in me. I happened to be at Target and noticed it in the card aisle, since I don't really pay attention to the official release dates. The price caught my eye though

2012 Topps Opening Day
As I recalled, that was higher than last year. Here's a breakdown

Topps Opening Day
20112012
7 card pack0.991.09
24 card pack2.993.19
77 card blaster9.9910.49

On some level, I actually appreciate this price increase, when compared to reducing the size of a pack. So many times at the grocery store I see the same old price but new lower size on a box of cereal, jar of peanut butter, or the formerly ubiquitous half gallon of ice cream, which is now 1.75 quarts on most brands, and 1.5 quarts in Edy's/Dreyer's (look at me, being geographically sensitive). Anyway, I'd rather have the same size packs at a slight increase instead of Topps removing a card or two per pack. My first preference would be no increase at all, ever, but that is, of course, a pipe dream.

One more economics rant then on to the cards: Why are the 24 card packs slightly cheaper per card than the 77 card blaster? With most things buying more reduces the unit cost. I noticed this last year too, although the difference is even smaller this year, at about 1/3 of a cent per card. Maybe Topps figures the difference is negligible and likes the prices ending in 9. But still, if they would pull a card or two out of the 24 and make it a 23 or 22 pack, its per-card price would fall right between the 7-pack and 77-box. Oh well, the bargain hunter in me will just keep buying 24 packs. I've got one so far, but I'm sure I'll get a few more and try to build this set again this year.

Now, cards as promised.

2012 Topps Opening Day #64 Dan Haren
This was the closest to a Cardinal I could find in the bunch. We really should have hung on to him. Hindsight is 20/20 though I guess.

2012 Topps Opening Day - Fantasy Squad #FS-2 Miguel Cabrera

2012 Topps Opening Day - Opening Day Edition Parallel #12 Jason Heyward #1867/2012
Here's a nice numbered parallel. This is similar to the 2011 blue parallel except the border is more sparkly.

2012 Topps Opening Day - Mascots #M-15 Kansas City Royals
Note that the card says Kansas City Royals, not Sluggerrr. A post at Night Owl Cards mentioned the same phenomenon on the Chicago White Sox mascot's card. Let's check the back:

It's the same story with this card. The language on the back very awkwardly avoids using his name, even though it would fit perfectly in a few places. I wonder why only some mascots are listed. As you can see in the linked post, the Swinging Friar is named. Does anyone know why?

And here's the full list of base cards, simply for posterity's sake:
17 Pedro Alvarez
21 Matt Moore
37 Josh Beckett
39 Michael Cuddyer
55 Miguel Cabrera
64 Dan Haren
69 Tim Lincecum
90 Derek Jeter
98 Ben Zobrist
120 Matt Garza
121 Mark Teixeira
123 Ryan Roberts
129 Alex Rios
145 CC Sabathia
153 Aramis Ramirez
161 Hunter Pence
173 Michael Pineda
179 Zach Greinke
180 Ted Lilly
182 Seth Smith
195 Ike Davis

2 comments:

  1. They did the same thing with not naming some mascots in 2011 OD. Diamondbacks, Braves, Orioles, White Sox, Royals, Athletics, and Blue Jays were the teams that didn't have the mascot named last year. I assume it is some type of copyright issue. Meaning someone other than MLB owns the name for the mascots in question. But I could be wrong and it could be something that makes much less sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about that naming business. Good catch.

    ReplyDelete