2014-06-23

eBay Wins #124

One of these cards is not like the others.

1987 Donruss
#68 Rick Sutcliffe
#69 Gary Carter
#70 Mike Moore
1987 Leaf #142 Hubie Brooks
If you're like me, and I hope for your sake that you're not, any time you hear that phrase, you have to finish the Sesame Street song in your head, or possibly out loud. Clearly, the outlier here is Mr. Brooks, in the Donruss lookalike set, Leaf. These are the type of sets that drive me mad when sorting through a trade package, along with 1980s O-Pee-Chee and Topps. I almost always put those cards in with Donruss/Topps at first, and only later notice what I have when the number doesn't match the checklist as I'm cataloging. It's generally a nice surprise though, because I have very few Leaf and O-Pee-Chee cards, and certainly many fewer than Donruss and Topps. In fact, this appears to be my very first and only 1987 Leaf card.

Of these 4 players, only Rick Sutcliffe was a Cardinal, pitching in 16 games in the strike-shortened 1994 season. I vaguely remember him playing for us, in fact, it's so vague I could have sworn he was here for a few years. But, I haven't ever seen baseball-reference.com proven wrong on anything in the modern era.

eBay Bargain Tracker
Total Cards Bought2937
Total Spent$47.90
Per Card1.631 cents

No comments:

Post a Comment