2020-04-14

October Card Show Autograph

You know the deal by now. I'm catching up on my backlog of autographs. This one's from October, 2018. It was the last year of a 3-year playoff drought for the Cardinals, but I managed to meet 2 World Champions that October to make up for it.

Glenn Brummer
82 WSC
Dick Groat

Glenn Brummer is most famous in St. Louis for stealing home in an extra-inning game in 1982. He was the backup catcher that year, playing in just 35 games, mostly as a late-inning replacement for Darrell Porter. Gene Tenace was also on the team as a catcher, but was primarily used as a pinch hitter. At the autograph signing Glenn could best be compared to Don Rickles. He never stopped smiling, laughing, and playfully jabbing at and joking with the fans in line.

Dick Groat was almost 88 years old as of this signing, so he was a bit more reserved. I really only have one Dick Groat story, which I've shared on here before, and it's not even mine, it's my Dad's.  I believe it was at game 7 of the 1964 World Series. The crowd stormed the field, and when he and his  friend found each other again after getting separated in the crowd, the first thing he told my dad was "I touched Dick Groat!" Which, as I said before, would be a great name for a blog if you were for some reason a hybrid Cardinals/Pirates fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment