2016-02-03

eBay Wins #205

Today I've got a single 1986 Donruss card I got on eBay for a penny. You know the drill by now.

1986 Donruss #348 Carlos Diaz
I don't know anything about Carlos Diaz, but I like to use baseball-reference.com to see what kind of insights I can infer from a player's stats. For starters, his last season was 1986, and he was never a Cardinal, hence why I never heard of him. The stat that jumps out at me is that over 179 appearances, he never started, but he finished the game 77 times. Of those, only 4 were saves. That tells me he was likely a middle-reliever, as much as there was such a thing in the early 80s, and "got some work in" or was sent out to eat up some innings at the end of the game when his team was losing. Of course, I could be wrong and the stats may belie his real role. If that's the case and you're a Dodgers or Mets fan who remembers him from especially 1983-85, let me know why he finished nearly 60 games in those years with just 3 saves.

eBay Bargain Tracker
Total Cards Bought3407
Total Spent$52.54
Per Card1.542 cents
Change0 cents

No comments:

Post a Comment